Getting you started for the academic year….
UP Cebu has 2 main online learning platforms, the UP Cebu Virtual Learning Environment and the UP Google Classrooms. If you wish to access the platforms, please follow the links below:
However, if you have a difficulty in accessing the platforms please use the TLRC Helpdesk for UP Cebu VLE and to the UP System Helpdesk for the Google resetting to teacher mode.
If you want to learn UP Cebu VLE in advance, you may check this user guide from MOODLE. UP Cebu VLE is a Moodle-based platform and has all the functionalities of Moodle. Google also provided a Google for Education Teacher Center which you can access and learn from. It has resources from teachers who use Google classroom in augmenting their teaching.
Online Resources to get you learning remotely…
The UP Manila Learning Resource Center is headed by an education technologies veteran Dr. Iris Isip Tan. She provides useful materials using her technology and medicine blog The Endocrine Witch (http://www.endocrine-witch.net/). Here are some useful edu-tech pages which we feel are very interesting.
- On Tools for Online Teaching http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/03/10/tools-ive-tried-for-online-teaching/
- Quick Demo of EdPuzzle http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/03/11/a-quick-demo-of-edpuzzle/
- Guide to Online Teaching Tools http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/05/02/guide-to-online-teaching-tools/
- Considering Cognitive Load on Education Videos http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/06/20/effective-educational-videos-considering-cognitive-load/
- Managing Cognitive Load on Educational Videos http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/06/20/effective-educational-videos-managing-cognitive-load/
- Learning from MOOCs on Educational Videos http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/06/20/effective-educational-videos-what-can-we-learn-from-moocs/
- Educators as Curators http://www.endocrine-witch.net/2020/06/21/educators-as-curators/
If you are feeling pumped up for more challenge and satisfying learning, it is best that you also understand how a student feels while learning alone and online. These highly curated online learning platforms are best to be experienced. Aside from the “getting the feel” and the certificates, you’ll also get new learning as a freebie.
Now if you still have some more room to spare, here are the collated links that the UP System Office of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs prepared for you.
We understand that the transition to remote learning maybe a struggle for some, maybe ease for some, and maybe a complete nightmare for some, but like any other skills, it can be learned.
If your are the struggling type, it is best that you get a teaching partner who have a prior experience in augmenting their classes with online learning. Only the first steps are hard:
- Identifying the platforms available,
- Learning the platform,
- Translating your syllabus to online learning friendly one,
- And getting the synchronous and asynchronous learning work for your students.
All of these are part of our transition.
Meanwhile, let’s learn together.